Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Troubadour

A couple of weeks ago, I came home to find this note slipped underneath my door. It looked like something that would not have been out of place in a Jane Austen novel.



After a moment of perplexed bemusement, I flipped the card over and found that it was not some sort of over-elaborate love note, but was instead an invitation to the English Club's first meeting and party. This came with the added condition that if I attended, they would "strongly encourage" me to prepare a performance for the members. In China, a "party" generally consists of a talent show of sorts, with people singing, dancing, telling jokes, or performing magic tricks. I chose to borrow a guitar from one of the students and dust off a song that I had written for my cousin's wedding over the summer. Of course, before I agreed to do it, I wish that I had known the English Club consisted of over a hundred students. In the end, though, my song was a hit and it was pretty fun and amusing to have instant celebrity status just by being able to strum a basic chord progression. Here's a picture of me singing the song. They couldn't find a music stand, so instead, one of the party hosts held up the piece of paper while I sang...and made eye contact with me the entire song.

That was a little bit awkward.

If nothing else, coming to China has definitely helped me to overcome any and all stage fright problems I might have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment